The Fieldpiece Digital Megohm Meter, model SMG5, is a compact standalone meter designed for checking HVAC compressor insulation. The SMG5 provides a 1000V voltage source, monitors current, and displays the resistance between the test points. Maximum current output is <1mA. It can be used to determine the condition of insulation from winding to ground in a motor, compressor, or transformer. Includes a case, alligator clip lead tip and leads with removable tips.
Disconnect the windings and measure the resistance between the windings and ground through the insulation. Determine what a "good" reading is by comparing your reading to values supplied by the manufacturer of the equipment or from your own experience.
Features and Benefits
- Designed for HVAC/R, the Digital Megohm Meter, model SMG5 is a compact, low cost meter for checking compressor insulation.
- Predict compressor failure.
- 1000VDC stresses insulation to measure up to 2000Mohms.
- Backlit LCD display.
- Auto-off to extend battery life.
- Case, alligator clip, leads with removable tips.
The Fieldpiece Megohm Meter, model SMG5, is in a class of it’s own. It’s affordable and was designed with your safety in mind. When used properly, detachable lead tips and probes along with and alligator lead tip allow for one-handed testing. The compact, slim shape allows for easier testing as well. Auto power off (APO) conserves battery life.
- Megohm Meter – SMG5
- (2) Probe tips
- (1) Ground lead with detachable tip
- (1) Alligator probe tip
- Carrying Case
- (4) 1.5V(AAA) batteries (installed)
- Operator’s manual
- Display: 3 1/2 digit liquid crystal display (LCD) with maximum reading of 1999.
- Overrange: (OL) or (-OL) is displayed.
- Low battery indication: The battery symbol is displayed when the battery voltage drops below the operating level.
- Measurement rate: 2.5 times per second, nominal.
- Operating Environment: 0°C to 40°C at < 70% relative humidity.
- Storage Temperature: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 80% R.H. with battery removed from meter.
- Auto power off: 15 seconds approx.
- Standby consume current: <10μA
- Battery: 4 pcs 1.5V (AAA size) UM-4 R03.
- Battery Life: 4 hours (continuity) typical with alkaline battery (@20cΛ range test 10cΛ resistor).
- Dimensions: 170mm(H) x 44mm(W) x 40mm(D).
- Weight: 160g including batteries.
- Range: 20 ΜΩ, 2000 ΜΩ.
- Resolution: 10K Ω on 20ΜΩ range, 1 ΜΩ on 2000 ΜΩ range.
- Accuracy: 20 ΜΩ range: ±(2%rdg + 2dgts), 2000 ΜΩ range: <500ΜΩ ±(4%rdg + 2dgts), >500 ΜΩ ±(5%rdg + 2dgts)
- Rated voltage: DC-DC converter to 1000VDC
- Accuracy temperature: 23°C ± 5°C less than 70%RH
- Temperature Coefficient: 0.1X (specified accuracy)/°C (28°C)